Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 43

We're now entering the Bonus portion of my 42 Days project. Extended Edition. Director's Cut. Extra Innings. Overtime.

As such, today is sort of a repeat. I gave a care package to a homeless person. The difference was that with the observance of Veteran's Day today, I specifically sought out a homeless veteran.

Sadly, it wasn't hard to find one.

It is absolutely criminal how we as a nation neglect our veterans. Regardless of what you think of the US military or it's various activities, these people were almost invariably asked to risk their lives and do extremely difficult things on our behalf. These people are in this to work toward the greater good, even if those calling the shots don't have the same idea of "greater good" as you or I might.

At any rate, I know my small gesture today doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things. But maybe for a moment, that guy felt slightly less neglected and forgotten.

On that note, I want to ask you to do some small thing tomorrow. I say tomorrow specifically, because November 13th is World Kindness Day. Sure, it's no Groundhog Day. But maybe you'll find altruism is contagious.

What if doing nice things went viral?

Here are some sources for suggestions if you're stumped:
10 ways to celebrate World Kindness Day
Kindness Ideas
100 Ideas for Kindness

--

No comments:

Post a Comment