Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 31

Doing this project has been interesting. You know the kid that comes to the door selling bad candy bars, or the coworker's daughter who is selling overpriced knick-knacks for a school fundraiser, or the person collecting money for their preferred charity? A small part of me used to think, "aw man," when I'd see them coming. But now I go, "Oh cool! I can check today off my list!"

Today I gave some money to somebody who apparently really, really needed it. She asked me if I had a dollar or two so she could get something to eat. I didn't understand her, so she had to say it again. The second time her voice was faltering a bit. Once I understood, and saw how earnest she was, I gave her the five in my wallet, happy to be able to have today's random act accounted for. (I'm running out of obvious ideas, so if you have any - especially ones that don't involve much money - let me know.) Anyway, she shook my hand, thanked me, and walked away with tears in her eyes and a smile of relief on her face. In that brief moment, I thought it might have been the best five bucks I ever spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment